Recipes For Summertime Cookouts and Picnics
Summer sunshine and warm temperatures receive a second place red ribbon in my book as a food-loving dietitian. The first place blue ribbon goes to all the eating events and activities that are the very essence of summertime, such as:
- Standing over the sink eating a huge, round, juicy, red tomato or fresh peach.
- Eating a huge slice of watermelon at a picnic in the park.
- Having a hot dog or bratwurst – or both – at an outdoor ball game.
- Biting into a butter-coated ear of sweet corn at the Indiana State Fair.
- Making homemade ice cream with pure, heavy cream.
- Figuring out whether to make muffins, cake or bread with the abundant harvest of summer squash and zucchini.
In between all these requisite activities, you’ll undoubtedly need a dish for a picnic, cookout or family reunion. Make a batch of Zesty Corn and Black Bean Salsa to showcase Indiana’s famous sweet corn and tomatoes. Or highlight Indiana’s watermelon with the unique, sweet-salty Watermelon Tomato Salad with Feta Cheese. And for a neighborhood cookout, Grilled Thai Beef Burgers will keep everyone healthy, happy and coming back for seconds.
|About the Author: Registered dietitian Kim Galeaz is an Indianapolis-based writer and culinary-nutrition consultant to the food, beverage and agriculture industry. She also blogs at The Dietitian Does dessert … Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, Too.|