Selection, Storage, Prep and Nutrition for Kid-Friendly Recipes
Find smart selection, storage, prep and nutrition tips for our kid-friendly recipes.
- Use 95 percent or 90 percent lean ground beef for the leanest, most heart-healthy meatballs.
- Save money by making your own whole-wheat breadcrumbs. Simply add a couple slices of bread to a food processer and pulse until desired crumb consistency. Two slices of bread makes about ½ to 1 cup crumbs, depending on your slice’s size or weight.
- Using fresh basil instead of dried? Simply use three times more fresh than dried (3 tablespoons in this recipe.)
- Kids will love using cookie scoops to make the meatballs. They don’t have to get their hands messy while rolling the balls. Just help them pack the meatballs tight in the cookie scoop before releasing on pan.
- Beef is power-packed, protein-rich choice for everyone in the family. It provides essential nutrients like iron (helps your body use oxygen), zinc (helps maintain a healthy immune system), and numerous B vitamins for brain function and optimal energy metabolism.
- Onions and garlic are filled with powerful phytonutrients called sulfides, which help support a healthy immune system and enhance detoxification of undesirable compounds. Add lots of onions and garlic!