Selection, Storage and Prep Notes for Weeknight Dinner Recipes
Quick, easy and healthy is the perfect combination for weeknight dinner recipes. Check out helpful nutrition, prep, storage and selection tips for the recipes below:
- Use 90, 94 or 96 percent lean ground beef. The added ingredients to the meatloaf mixture will add flavor and moisture.
- Mix meatloaf mixture with your hands for best blending.
- An ice cream scoop is the perfect tool for consistent sized “cupcakes.”
- Save time with prepackaged containers of “heat and serve” mashed potatoes from the refrigerated supermarket section. Just microwave and “frost.”
- Lean ground beef may be low in fat for better heart health, but it’s high in valuable vitamin B12 (only found in animal products), iron, zinc, numerous other B vitamins and selenium to protect your cells from damage.
- Add a smidgen extra onion and garlic if you’d like, as both provide extra nutrients to protect your heart – and all with minimal calories.
- Oats add soluble fiber to help lower bad cholesterol (LDL).
- Think only sweet potatoes are healthy? White, red and golden potatoes are too, just in a different way. They may not have vitamin A, but they’re full of valuable vitamin C, potassium and numerous B vitamins. Prepackaged mashed potatoes have all these nutrients as well!