Selection, Storage and Nutrition Notes for Tailgating Recipes
Before making our three game-winning tailgate recipes, check out these helpful tips on selection, preparation and nutrition:
- Use any favorite apple and leave the skin on to give the salsa extra color.
- Substitute any color bell pepper as well – red, orange or yellow.
- Timesaver tip: Since there’s no lime zest in this easy salsa, feel free to use bottled lime juice.
- Apples give off ethylene gas, so don’t store them next to other vegetables and fruits. Keep them at room temp if using in a couple days.
- Practically every ingredient is nutrient-rich in this salsa, from the heart-protective onions, garlic and bell peppers to the fiber-filled apples and bone-supportive cilantro.
- Apples contain soluble fiber, the same type as in oats/oatmeal. Soluble fiber may help reduce cholesterol.