Red Velvet Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting
Discover smart selection, storage and prep tips, plus nutrition information for our Red Velvet Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting recipe.
Selection, Storage and Prep
- Typically, bittersweet chocolate is not as sweet as semisweet because it has less sugar and more cocoa solids. So if you have to substitute semisweet, use ¾ semisweet and ¼ unsweetened to compensate.
- These brownies require refrigeration because of the cream cheese icing. But they can be baked ahead of time, tightly covered and stored at room temperature, then iced right before enjoying.
- A metal 9-by-13-inch pan works better than a glass pan for brownies.
- Balance these indulgent treats with a glass of 1% or fat-free milk! You’ll get a protein, calcium and vitamin D boost.
- Using 1/3-less-fat Neufchatel cream cheese helps save a few calories and fat grams.