Grilled Shrimp Recipe From RDM Shrimp
Indiana shrimp farmer Karlanea Brown’s favorite way to eat shrimp is grilled with the head on. She says cooking with the head on adds a sweet flavor that only fresh shrimp can provide. Frozen shrimp always have their heads removed.
Courtesy of RDM Shrimp
- ¾ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 ½ tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped and divided
- 24 large shrimp, shelled and deveined*
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- oregano leaves for garnish
- wooden skewers soaked in water
* Shell and devein store-bought shrimp before grilling. Brown says shrimp from her farm have thin shells, so she deshells and deveins after grilling.
- Heat the grill to medium. In a small bowl, whisk together ¼ cup oil, ancho powder, chopped garlic and 2 tablespoons of the thyme.
- Skewer the shrimp and brush with marinade.
- Place the remaining ½ cup of oil in a saucepan. Add the sliced garlic and cook until it is lightly golden brown. Remove the garlic slices with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels. Reserve the oil.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper and grill until golden brown on each side, about 1 minute and 30 seconds per side.
- Remove the shrimp from the skewers, transfer to a platter, and drizzle with some of the reserved garlic oil and garlic chips. Sprinkle with the remaining thyme and garnish with oregano leaves