Tips for Farmers Market Shoppers
Whether you’re new to farmers markets or a loyal market shopper, keep these tips in mind to make the experience a lot more satisfying:
- Bring your own reusable bag.
- Get to know your producers. Ask questions about how they grow the food, what their favorite recipe is, or about a food’s nutritional value.
- Bring cash – many vendors do not take credit cards.
- Use small bills and change. Vendors appreciate customers paying with ones, fives and even quarters.
- Call ahead if you’re looking for a specific item. Notify vendors in advance if you want something they don’t always carry.
- Bookmark the market’s website and sign up for e-mails about happenings at the market.
- Bring friends. They will appreciate you introducing them to a world of delicious, locally grown foods.