Corny Indiana Trivia
Most Hoosiers know that Indiana is part of the nation’s “Corn Belt.” Read on for a few other corny kernels of knowledge.
- An ear of corn averages 800 kernels in 16 rows.
- A pound of corn consists of approximately 1,300 kernels.
- In the U.S., corn production measures more than 2 times that of any other crop.
- Corn is a major component in many food items like cereals, peanut butter, snack foods and soft drinks.
- One bushel of corn will sweeten more than 400 cans of Coca-Cola.
- Americans consume 16.5 billion quarts of popped popcorn annually, more than anyone else in the world.
- It takes 25 gallons of water to grow one ear of corn.
- The U.S. produces about 40 percent of the world’s corn.
- One bushel of corn is 56 pounds.
- Indiana ranks fourth among corn producing states in the U.S.
- In a typical year, almost half of all cropland in Indiana is planted in corn.
- Indiana is considered part of the “Corn Belt.”